Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Review: Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation


Hey Everyone!

I've always said to myself that when I start a beauty blog I'd do tons of product reviews but going through my posts all I post about are my hauls and gigs. 

I decided to start with my personal HOLY GRAIL foundation called Silk Creme Foundation from Laura Mercier. 

Growing up I had really oily skin so I was super prone to acne I also have sensitive skin so I react HORRIBLY to certain products/ingredients. Through trial and error I found a skin care routine which controlled my oilyness and acne. So nowadays I only get acne during that time of the month or when I don't get 8 hours of sleep. 

My skin today is the worst it has been for a long long time due to the following. 1) I just had my period 2) I've been getting less than 8 hours of sleep and 3) I'm super stressed with work! Because of the disgusting state of my skin I decided that today was the PERFECT day to show you all how AWESOME this foundation is.

SO ARE YOU READY TO SEE ME SANS FARDS?! :))))) 





Well I'm not quite ready yet! HAHA! So let's talk about the foundation first! :)))



I use the shade Medium Ivory
What Laura Mercier Says:
An innovative full coverage foundation that makes the skin look luminous and rich. By combining a special collection of silk proteins, tea extracts and treated mica, Laura has created a luxurious formula that leaves skin hydrated and protected with a radiant, timeless glow.

What Sephora Says:
This long-wearing foundation evens out skintone as it increases skin luminosity and clarity for a radiant glow. The rich, creamy texture glides over the skin effortlessly for perfect application and blendability. Perfect for rosacea and hard to cover pigmentation. Ideal for all skin types, and oil-free.

What I Say:

Texture: It really feels creamy and rich, it blends like a dream and It feels super lightweight on. 

Recommendations: I think with the right primer/moisturizer this will be good for all skin types! Not kidding! :) 


  • Dry/Mature Skin : Use Laura Mercier's Hydrating Face Primer. Don't set it with Powder
  • Normal/Combination Skin : Use a light oil-free Moisturizer, skip primer. (I use Kiehl's Oil-Free Gel Moisturizer). Set T-Zone with a translucent powder or for added coverage use powder foundation.
  • Oily Skin : Use an oil-free Moisturizer, Mattifying Primer (try Make Up Forever's All Mat) then set with powder. 


Coverage: It's marketed as a full-coverage foundation but I think it really depends on how you put it on. Best of all if you have blemishes that aren't super dark, YOU WILL NOT NEED concealer anymore! :) 

  • If you want light coverage dot a small amount along the center of your face and use a wet beauty blender/sponge and blend outwards. 
  • If you want medium coverage use a foundation brush or a really dense stippling brush dot all over the face and pat/stipple it on. 
  • And if you want full coverage just use your fingers!!! (How awesome is that?!) 
You probably don't believe me so I think it's time to show you what I mean!!! Are you ready? :))))
(Don't judge okay? I specifically decided to show you today because i really have bad skin these past few days!) 
BEFORE (GASP!) 

AFTER! Absolutely no photoshop/iphoto retouching. (aka Mother-of-Makeup Moment)
Do you believe me now!? :)) I took this photo in natural sunlight (My makeup table is right in front of a window) so this is probably the harshest light possible meaning you see EVERY flaw (exhibit A. Before Photo) so in harsh light you can still see the flaws in the AFTER photo but when you're indoors and especially in warm/yellow light you won't see the blemishes/imperfections anymore all you'll see is a flawless you!! :) 

Additional Products I used:
To conceal: Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer in SC-3 with a Synthetic Charm Brush

To set the Face: Laura Mercier Mineral Foundation in Real Sand with a Marionnaud Face Brush

To set under the eyes: Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder with a Suesh I-dunno-what-its-called brush 
Simple work makeup! :) 
Longevity: By the end of 6 hours I only had a bit of shine on my t-zone. I just used Oil control film to get rid of excess shine. The rest of my face still looks great and my blemishes stayed hidden all throughout the day :)

Cost: I believe the foundation costs PHP1,650.00 (about $38 as compared to when you buy it in the US this will cost you $43 without taxes). Yes I know that sounds like so much money to spend on a foundation but I honestly believe it's worth every single peso! 

I'm actually on my 2nd tube my old one lasted a year so let's say you plan to use it 20 days a month for the entire year that is equal to 240 days divide it that by 1,650 it comes out to less than 7 pesos per day of use! :)) SO WORTH IT! :) 


Verdict: BUY IT!!!

That's about it! I hope you liked this review! I tried to be as practical with the explanations as possible and everything is based on my experience with the product! Next time you're out looking for a foundation, INVEST in this, you won't go wrong!

Questions about the product? Feel free to email me at ylayapauline@gmail.com or send me a message at facebook.com/beautybypauline or leave a comment below!

Next review Laura Mercier Powders :)

Always Love,
Pauline

Ps. Kamusta naman ang personal brushes ko? Charm, Marionnaud and Suesh! :)) Inggit talaga ako sa clients ko kasi I use MAC and Sigma brushes on them :)))))

1 comment:

  1. Hey Maria! Thanks for reading my blog! I was actually trying to think of a topic for my next blog post and i'm glad you messaged me! I'll do that within the week!

    Just to give you an idea, aside from my temptu s/b foundation for airbrush I use Graftobian for dry/normal skin, Makeup forever HD Foundation for normal/combination and MUFE Mat velvet plus for oily skin.

    I don't use MAC foundations/powders because i'm personally super allergic to it and I think that's the issue with MAC face products if it's good on you maganda talaga but when it's not grabe yung reaction. So I dont want to risk that with clients :))

    I'll definitely write more about what I use within the week! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete